The Heritage Museum - Simonstown
The Heritage Museum was established in Amlay House (built in 1858), which belonged to the Amlay family of Simon's Town until they were forcibly removed from the town when it was declared a white group area on 1 September 1967 under the Group Areas Act of the Nationalist Government. The family were removed in 1975 and were the first former residents to return to Simon's Town in 1995.
The formation of the Heritage Museum was initiated by the Noorul Islam Historical Society that comprises of a group of former and present residents of Simon's Town. The museum was created as a reminder of the rich Muslim culture that existed in the town from the establishment of Simon's Town as the official winter anchorage for the Dutch East India Company in 1743 until the Forced Removal of more than 7000 "people of colour" under the Group Areas Act, in 1968.
|Mrs Zainab (Curator)|
Tel: +27 21 786 2302
|Places Near Here:|